Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Scariest Moment of My Life!

So Logan's little cold quickly turned into croup last night. It was about 11:15pm and we had just gotten Ava to sleep and all of a sudden we hear a weird cough coming out of Logan's room, Matt went up to check on him and once he opened the door and I could really hear him, I knew something bad was wrong. Poor Ava kinda got tossed into her swing (and of course waking her up) and before I could get up the stairs, Matt was running down with Logan and went right outside with him to try and help him breath, I just kept saying take him to the ER, we have to take him in. I knew it was croup when I heard him, and he was diagnosed with croup at the end of November, but I never thought that he had croup that time, just a bad cough that sounded a little barky but he never struggled to breath that time. So either he didn't have it that time, or it was a really mild case, because what happened last night was croup and I will never mistaken that again. So anyway, the cold wasn't helping and Logan was really struggling to breath, so I ran up stairs for is lovey while Matt got his coat and shoes, grabbed the diaper bag and they were off. I can't even describe the feeling of watching your child struggle to breath, it really just can't be described, it was awful and he kept asking for me and I couldn't go because of Ava and the whole thing was just the worst moment of my life.

Of course I couldn't even process what was going on after they left, because Ava was screaming her head off at this point, so I go and feed her and she falls back asleep and Matt and I are texting back and forth so I know what the hell is going on with Logan.

They took him right in when they go to the hospital, Matt said there was another family ahead of him but no one seemed in distress, so as soon as they heard Logan they made them wait and took care of him right away. He got steroid shots like he did last time he had croup and he also got a breathing treatment. Of course he wasn't happy about either of those treatments, and even after watching Ava do breathing treatments when she was sick he was still very scared of it, so poor DH had to hold him down with a nurse through all this. After the treatments they observed him for two hours and some change and they came home after 3am. Ava went down for the night a little after 1am and I was pretty much awake until they got home. I heard Logan come home and yell "Mom I got shots, I love shots" and he came right up to our room and gave me a big hug. You know it's bad when your 3 year old is in favor of shots...

I got him back in bed and laid down with him until Matt got ready for bed, and then he slept with Logan for the rest of the night to make sure he was ok. Poor Matt had some of his employees coming in early to work on a project today and was leading a meeting on a new project that he is in charge of and had to be up at 6 am.

Logan was pretty good today, occasionally coughing, but no more attacks. I had to keep him from running around today so he must not have been feeling too bad. He fell asleep nice and early though. Now we are praying that Ava doesn't get sick.

I think I can safely say that was the scariest moment of my life, I hope I never have to go through that again...

No comments:

Post a Comment