Thursday, February 18, 2010

Have To Give Him Props!


Congrats to Evan for bringing home the gold! He had an awesome skate and he deserved it for sure. Evgeni just wasn't on tonight and even though he is one of my all time favorites he didn't have a gold medal skate this time. Three Olympic medals ain't to shabby though! Judging was fair between these two for sure. Yes Evgeni did the quad and landed it, but it wasn't his best quad and his other jumps were off as well. Evan did not do his quad which was a gamble, because if Evgeni had been his best, he might not have one, but it worked out in Evan's advantage tonight. I am sure Evgeni will feel different he feels very strongly about doing the quad and that it should be done to move the sport forward (I agree, it's the same thing with gymnastics these days. I watch the gymnasts now and the way the point systems have changed it's easier to be an elite gymnast than it was in my day and i feel like it pushes the sport in the wrong direction)

I thought that Johnny Weir had the skate of his life out there tonight, and in his case I felt he was underscored, perhaps being in a way punished for this unruly behavior but as of late he really turned himself and his training around and that was evident tonight. Way to go Johnny, he has to be pleased with that skate at the Olympics, he deserved better than 6 place in my opinion, but many said his program was too simple (no Quad here either), but he skated it beautifully.

And how about that young kid who's lace broke in the middle of his program! I had that happen in the middle of a sychro program once, there is no worse feeling than when you lace goes and your skating, you just lose all stability and it's quite scary. I have had it happen a few times, once during a performance with my synchro team and luckily it was towards the end and I didn't have to let go of my teammates at that point. I have had my laces go during practice several times (I had to change my laces one year so they matched my sychro boots better and these dumb laces wouldn't stay tied to save my life, I had to find a new pair eventually it was a PIA!) one time during sychro practice I went flying into the boards so I feel this guys pain. But he handled it well and finished up strong which is hard to do with a break like that.

Anyway very exciting event tonight and how awesome that while not my favorite skater of all time, the home town hero came through and I have to give him his props because he trained his ass off and he delivered at the biggest competition of his life under more pressure than any of us will every know.



Edit:
Ah yes this came out today, I knew he would have this opinion:

No comments:

Post a Comment