Friday, February 26, 2010

August or January?

I have to decide when I am going to start my CNA course. Most people don't know that I want to go back to school and go into nursing, the few people I have told were met with mixed feelings and I really don't want to hear the "but what about all that time and money you spent on your B.A. in psychology/sociology and your all but dissertation masters "degree"...yea I know I got married had a beautiful baby boy and that experience led me to want to pursue nursing, something I never thought I would want to go into while I was in college. I am sure I will get into the whole change of direction in life story soon, but ever since I had Logan going on four years now, I have wanted to do this and recent happenings in my life have only made that desire stronger and I am very excited to get started, which for me means becoming a Certified Nursing Assistant first.

The weekend course is offered twice a year, August and January and up until a few days ago I assumed I was going to start in August. But... then I thought about how hard it is going to be having a pretty young Ava still, getting ready for her big first birthday party and then Logan's 4th birthday party (remember now their B-Day's are only 4 days apart) then the holidays and I thought well I should just start in January after all that is over with and I can give it my FULL attention. Ava will also be well over year and no longer nursing which will alleviate a lot of stress from me not having to be pumping or giving formula while I am gone in class and at clinical's. Matt and my Mom (from whom I am getting my support in this endeavor from) both think January would be better for me as well, I just don't want it to seem like I keep putting it off to those that do know about my aspirations and are wondering what it taking me so long (not that it should matter, but two complicated pregnancies since having Logan didn't really accommodate me starting this program when I would have liked to)

SO anyway I think I have made my final decision to wait until January. I am gong to email the head of the program and see how far in advanced I can take care of my entrance tests, physicals, interview, etc for next January and hopefully secure a spot since it is a limited enrollment program. I am really excited to take this next step in life, it's one of the biggies I want to get done before we start having anymore kiddies!

I found a posting for my dream job last month at a hospital near by who were hiring 3 CNA's to become OB tech's where they give them additional training so they can assist during c-sections and other procedures on the L&D floor. It was part time, nigths and every other weekend...ugg exactly what I am looking for while I am in my child bearing years here. I want to work L&D, Post-Partum, or maybe ambulatory surgery at a hospital and be part time so I can still be home with my kids during the day. Hopefully my dream job will reappear once I have my certification! I am also hoping to find a job as a CNA were I can get help going back to school and eventually do my LPN (licenced practical nurse). If I go all the way to RN, it will be after I am done having kids and they are all in school because it is a very demanding undertaking and right now my priority is being a mom, they are only young once ya know.

Ahh, if I could go back to college I would do it all so differently, but then again I needed the life experience to get me here, so hey what are you going to do? As my favorite social work professor told us, "You have to do what makes your heart sing."

No comments:

Post a Comment