Thursday, July 22, 2010

Big News From ACOG!

This got passed along to me today from the ACOG (American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology) about new VBAC guidelines.

http://www.acog.org/from_home/publications/press_releases/nr07-21-10-1.cfm

In keeping with past recommendations, most women with one previous cesarean delivery with a low-transverse incision are candidates for and should be counseled about VBAC and offered a TOLAC. In addition, "The College guidelines now clearly say that women with two previous low-transverse cesarean incisions, women carrying twins, and women with an unknown type of uterine scar are considered appropriate candidates for a TOLAC," said Jeffrey L. Ecker, MD, from Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston and immediate past vice chair of the Committee on Practice Bulletins-Obstetrics who co-wrote the document with William A. Grobman, MD, from Northwestern University in Chicago.

And the awesome news is that they are now recommending a TOL (trial of labor) for those with two previous cesareans with low-transverse incisions!!!! (that's me!)

I have already been researching and thinking about the possibility of trying a VBA2C, and my options were pretty limited (would have to switch to a hospital downtown, which is the only one that would allow them). I had kind of given up, but now with the new recommendation, hopefully by the time we have our next baby, my doctor and hospital will be on board with this. All I ever wanted or asked for was the chance to try, and now I can have that again. I am a very happy camper right now :<)

I have been dealing, rather poorly, with the fact that I thought I would never get the birth I always wanted and having to have c-sections from now on, and now that the option still might be there for me, is well really damn awesome! I do know people that have had a VBA2C, I know it's possible and I know every pregnancy and labor is different so third time might be the charm for me!

Just needed to spread the good word for all the c-section mamas out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment