Monday, March 1, 2010

First Physical Therapy Session

I had my first PT session tonight for the pain I have had in my hip and the weakness in my back since having Ava. For some reason this pregnancy was really hard on my physically and the recovery was much harder. The hip pain got so bad towards the end of November and beginning of December in that I couldn't walk or sit down because it hurt so much. It got a little better, enough that I got back on the ice beginning of January. My OB had given me a script for PT when I saw him in December, but I wanted to wait to see if it would subside as my body "came back together" from the birth. Well let's just say I have been living with pretty bad hip pain since November and I finally gave in and started the physical therapy.

My PT pretty much confirmed what my OB thought was going on, that the muscles are weak around my hip, muscles that hold the pelvis (which while I was pregnant caused so much pain that I couldn't roll over in bed without tears coming to my eyes) in place. Since the muscles are weak my whole pelvis is weak which makes my back kinda feel like it has to shift into place before I walk anywhere once I stand up, and yes I have been skating through all this pain, but on the ice I don't feel most of the pain, it's afterwards. It's very evident that my trunk and lower muscles are weak as I am having a hard time controlling landings coming out of my jumps.

So I have a bunch of exercises to do at home every day and I go in for therapy twice a week for 6 weeks, and hopefully these exercises will strengthen my muscles up and stabilize my pelvis and I can live pain free again and skate full out again!

No comments:

Post a Comment