Sunday, June 9, 2013

Kitchen Cabinet Transformation!

So I have been wanting to change the color of our kitchen cabinets for some time now, but with other projects we wanted to get done and both of us back in school, this project got put on the back burner. So as soon as school got out for me I decided it was time to get going on this little project. 

I started my cabinet painting project on Pinterst of course. Lots of pins on painting kitchen cabinets, most involved sanding and stripping and ain't nobody got time for that. So through my researching I found this kit made by Rust-Oleum called Cabinet Transformations, which promised me that I wouldn't have to strip or sand and it was under $100...sold!

So I ordered the kit. 

I wanted to do pure white cabinets so that is the kit I ordered. The kit comes with a bottle of de-glosser and some pads to apply it with, two cans of the bond coat, two cans of the decorative glaze and applicator rag (this step is optional and we didn't use it) and a can of top coat.

So the first step of this should be to measure your cabinets to see how much square footage you need for coverage, I of course skipped this step, our kitchen is small and I figured it I needed more I would order another kit, but the one kit was plenty and I have a lot left over.

So next they tell you to make a sketch of your kitchen and assign all your drawers and doors a number so you know where they go. I am no artist so this is what my *official kitchen blueprint* looked like...

I labeled using masking tape. Then I started taking off the doors. I took all the hinges off as well and put each doors into a labeled baggy since some of them where different sizes. 


Once I got all the doors and drawers off my kitchen looked like this...


Of course they tell you to use painters tape and tape off edges and empty the cabinets but ain't nobody got time or space for that. I am pretty good with a paint brush and when I have to do edges I use a piece of paper held or taped up by the edges, works great and saves tons of time.

So the first step was to wash everything down with soap and water, once you do that you can start de-glossing. This step is important because it is what takes the place of the sanding and stripping. You apply the de-glosser with enclosed green pads and you have to really scrub away at everything. Once you de-gloss you wipe with a wet towel and then a dry one. Not gonna lie it takes awhile.

Once I was ready to apply the bond coat I started with the cabinet frames. It took two coats to cover.



Once I had the two coats on I applied the 4th step (remember we skipped step 3) which is the protective top coat. So before I started on the drawers and doors I had completed the cabinet frame.

Then it was time to get started on the door and drawers. They tell you to set up in your garage or basement, but I just through down towels on our table and used various pieces of cardboard to paint on. It looked something like this for a week.


Two coats of the bond again on front and back and then decorative glaze, it took about a week of working on it in between mommy duties and work.

I wanted to pure white look so we didn't do the decorative glaze step. It was a little to country looking for my taste, but this is the difference between using glaze and not.


We also decided to put on some hardware to enhance the transformation. So I headed to Menards and picked out some knobs and pulls to use, which actually cost almost as much as the kit did. If you do this and all ready have the hardware even better. I fell in love with these pulls and for knobs to match.

My wonderful husband put all the hardware on and installed all the doors back on for me. So ready for the before and afters? Here we go

Before:




And AFTER:




Wow, right? I am beyond thrilled with the out come, they turned out great. My kitchen is so much brighter now too. All the work was totally worth it and I would recommend the Rust-Oleum system for sure. We paid about $75 for the kit, so new cabinets for under $100, not to bad.

Next up is the back splash looking at some DIY kits for that as well. Stay tuned!





No comments:

Post a Comment