Saturday, January 22, 2011

2 Days Under My Belt...

And I love the BNAT program already! I was sitting in class thinking, yep this is were I belong!

It' s been a long time since I was actually interested in what I was learning in school.

Before I get into how class was let's do a happy dance, why you ask? Well I went to prove my in-district residency and when the nice girl was done doing that she printed out my new account balance and to my happy surprise I know only owe the college $330 and some change! Apparently the day I registered since they did ask to see my id (and I didn't know they needed it) they charged me out of district tuition (at the time I thought wow I thought this was a lot cheaper, maybe tuition went up?) So now I only have to make one more payment in instead of 3 at $600+. Which means I am so getting a new refrigerator when we get out tax return back, but I digress...

So that was an awesome way to start class off!

Anyway my teacher is nice, but strict, but I like strict and she is very detailed and has everything outlined which is also awesome for testing purposes. You should see the schedule we got, unreal it's going to be a lot of work and testing, but it will be worth it for sure. A lot of the other students are moms and dads with kids the same age as my own so that is neat, gives us stuff to talk about, I think there only two students who are right out of High School, the rest are all "older" like me, second careers for a lot of them as well.

The one bummer was finding out our clinical site is a rehab facility and not a hospital, where I hope to work. Oh well, at least it's not a long-term, nursing home setting, where I know for sure I want nothing to do with (ever since I was little I have hated nursing homes, when we use to go with church or Girl Scouts I would freak out and practically make my self sick and have a panic attack).

Today for what will eventually be out clinical day, we had lab and learned how to wash hands properly and learned how to glove, gown and mask following proper technique and isolation procedures and how to double bag bio-hazard waste. We practice this again next class, and then start bed making and then we are skill tested on all three. We have our first lecture exam the day before our lab test...yikes!

So far so good though! We all brought home gloves, gown and a mask to practice, and then we are to wash our hands properly every time we need to wash our hands so it becomes second nature, washing your hands for the health care setting, is harder than you think and it's hard to un-train the bad washing habits that I have used for well, almost 30 years LOL!

We also learned about MRSA and C-Diff today which was interesting as well.

Looking forward to Monday now!

No comments:

Post a Comment